ForumsNewsToodledo Tasks redesign ready for public beta testing

Toodledo Tasks redesign ready for public beta testing
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 10, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
For the past several months we have been working on a redesign of the Tasks section. We've talked about this previously, and today we are ready to give you a preview of what it's going to be like.

The new Tasks section is now available for beta testing. To see it, you first need to become a beta tester and then follow the directions on that page to visit our beta website. Once there, you will see a message at the bottom of the screen to try out our new design.

I would like to remind you that this is Beta quality software. It has known bugs and is under active development. Please make a backup of your data, or use a separate tester account to give it a try. And you should know that "Collaboration" is not yet implemented. This is the final piece that we are still working on.

If you have any feedback for us, please use the feedback button in the bottom left corner of the beta website.
Duo

Score: 1 Reference
Thanks Jake.

Any idea when the corresponding Android Beta app will be available?

This message was edited Oct 10, 2016.
mmghobri

Looking at the beta now. I'm wondering if this is mainly a design change, or if the tasks database has been changed?

Will this enable subtasks or the like in the future?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
@Duo: The Android app is currently in beta testing and will be released soon.

@mmghobri: We already have subtasks. This update is a minor update on the design and a major update of the behind the scenes software, but the database has not changed.
Duo

Posted by Jake:
@Duo: The Android app is currently in beta testing and will be released soon.

Great. Thanks Jake.
mmghobri

Woops sorry, I meant to ask about "multiple levels" of subtasks. Also wanted to ask about task dependencies (which would be resolved via multiple levels of subtasks).

Understanding that there's no database change helps answer my question though, as it sounds like it is still not possible.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2016.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We need to get the redesign finished first and then we can look into adding new major functionally.
melchizW

I get a #500 error every time it tries to sync my tasks ?
pawelkaleta

Posted: Oct 11, 2016
I tried to get to New Layout in the Chrome web browser on my Android mobile phone to see how the adaptation to the screen size looks like. However even though I open beta web page, there is no button at the bottom of the screen allowing me to switch to New Layout. Am I doing something wrong? Which link should I use? (I managed to switch to New Layout on the desktop).
michelbjorn

How I'm not liking the "semi-hidden" parent of subtasks.

First, it's hard on the eyes. Not knowing where to start to read, because som tasks are indented, results in looking left to right to find where the task title begins.

Secondly, on a daily basis I don't care what about the parent task. I only want to know the "lowest level" of action is. At least give us the option to turn this functionality of (I understand it could be useful on a really small screen).

Third, in grid-view you still need a big screen otherwise the whole title of the parent won't fit.

Please, give us the option to choose, or revert. It could in some cases be nice on a small screen i multi-line view but for all other situation it's not.
Duo

Posted by pawelkaleta:
I tried to get to New Layout in the Chrome web browser on my Android mobile phone to see how the adaptation to the screen size looks like. However even though I open beta web page, there is no button at the bottom of the screen allowing me to switch to New Layout. Am I doing something wrong? Which link should I use? (I managed to switch to New Layout on the desktop).

I had the same problem with Chrome on an Android phone. Eventually I was able to switch when I held the phone horizontally. The new Tasks Beta was then available in any orientation after that.

Once switched I noticed several problems with the Beta on a mobile device in vertical mode.

The navigation bar is cut off to the left. 'My Tasks' shows as 'Iy Tasks'.

There is no navigation bar on the left (possibly because of the first problem) so there is no way to switch to other ways of viewing tasks e.g. Context, Status, etc without turning the phone horizontally first.

No indication (three dots) that a task is a subtask but indication that a task has subtasks (arrow) is there.

I didn't have any of these issues using Chrome on an Android tablet.

[Feedback already sent]
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Please submit your feedback via the "feedback" widget in the bottom left corner of the Tasks page or via a support ticket. Its difficult for us to track, ask questions and respond to feedback in this forum thread because they all get mixed together.

Also, screenshots can be very helpful for us, so if you can please create a support ticket and attach a screenshot that shows the problem that you have discovered that would be great.

Today already we have fixed about 10 bugs that our beta testers found, so if you had trouble yesterday, please give it another try.

If you have trouble getting to the new beta site on a phone, you can go directly there by typing in the URL: tasksbeta . toodledo . com

This message was edited Oct 11, 2016.
pawelkaleta

Posted by Duo:
Posted by pawelkaleta:
I tried to get to New Layout in the Chrome web browser on my Android mobile phone (...)

I had the same problem with Chrome on an Android phone. Eventually I was able to switch when I held the phone horizontally. The new Tasks Beta was then available in any orientation after that.
Once switched I noticed several problems with the Beta on a mobile device in vertical mode.

Hi, thanks, that helped and it worked but I've noticed the same issues on my phone. I don't report it as it is already done.

This message was edited Oct 11, 2016.
melchizW

taskbeta.toodledo.com site can not be reached. - DNS address can not be found ?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
tasksbeta (you are missing an s)
Duo

Posted by Jake:
Please submit your feedback via the "feedback" widget in the bottom left corner of the Tasks page or via a support ticket. Its difficult for us to track, ask questions and respond to feedback in this forum thread because they all get mixed together.

I don't know if you were referring to me but, as I said in my post above, I already reported all the issues I mentioned before replying to pawelkaleta here.
melchizW

Posted: Oct 12, 2016
duh .. oh my .. thanks Jake !
Norman J.

Posted: Oct 12, 2016
Score: 4 Reference
After trying the new Task-View i have mixed feelings about it. Overall it looks fresher and modern but in my opinion the usability has declined.

1. The display of the parent tasks is horrible. There are some characters of the last word(s) displayed, so that you instinctively try to read the "meaningless" characters. If you move the mouse, every line you "hit" starts scrolling. With this scrolling effect the parent task is only complete readable if you drastically expand the task column (much wider as you really need), otherwise only a part will be displayed. Last, the indentation interrupts the alignment, so that some tasks (which have parents) are indented and some not, which makes the task list very hard to read.

2. Now my Task-List starts with a whole bunch of symbols (check box, star, drop down menu, attachment, file and subtask icon). In the old version only the really necessary icons are displayed first (check box, star, drop down and subtask). Now we have a really wide column in front of the task.

3. Where is the bold font for tasks with a high priority. Ist the small colorful triangle the only indication of the priority?

4. The calendar view!!! Yes, i am getting older but that is no reason to display the calendar as i am blind. ;)

5. The new dialog for batch editing fly over the task list, so that I'am unable to see all columns. So if I want to change the tag of all tasks for example and the tag column is hidden by the batch edit dialog, It's impossible to take a look at the current tags.

6. The new search dialog is to narrow. If you have nested rules the new group indicator (only one blue bar) makes it harder to distinguish the groups.

This is only my personal impression.
Olivir2015

Posted: Oct 13, 2016
OK, I would lke to know it anyone here is able to switch to the new layout on Intertet Explorer 11. For me, I am stuck on Loading and Just a second messages:-(, on Windows 7. Hopefully this will get fixed eventually, because dropped support for IE 11 will be a point of no return for me.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2016.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Oct 13, 2016
I also tried to open new beta layout on IE but with no success (keeps loading). I have reported this to the team.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.