ForumsTime ManagementFeature request: change to Importance calculation

Feature request: change to Importance calculation
salustri

Posted: Jun 26, 2014
Score: 1 Reference
Hi,
I know about the formula used to calculate Importance; I think that's very useful.
I would like to request, however, that other fields be added and allow users to select which fields are used to calculate importance.

In my case, I sort certain undated tasks based on modification time and choose tasks to do that I haven't worked on in a long time. So, currently I sort first by importance, and then my mod time. But the ordering is NOT the same as if importance *included* mod time.

Thanks in advance.
terredean111

Posted: Oct 07, 2014
Score: -4 Reference
Hi,

You must consult with a professional for the same. It will provide you help.

----------------
http://www.labortimetracker.com
Salgud

Posted: Oct 07, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
Long-time request, on "the list".
Sabina A.

Posted: Oct 08, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions. We're unable to comment on a time frame for implementation, but we'll consider this for a future update.

Thanks
and78386

Posted: Dec 14, 2014
Same request was made by me on 16/08/2013 already. ;)

See here: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/17729/0/importance-level-formula.html
salustri

Posted: Jan 20, 2015
Following up, here's a specific mod I'd like to suggest adding to the importance calculation: a measure of the effort a task is expected to take.
This can be done by using the Length field. One may argue that the longer the task, the more effort has to be put into it.
I should think that, all else being equal, a task that will take 6 hours to complete should be treated as more important than a task requiring only 5 minutes to complete.
You might use the same strategy as is done to build due dates into the importance calculation.
You can scrape the database to get a distribution of number of tasks, and devise a mapping to convert actual length into some integer value to be added to the importance calculation.
coolexplorer

Posted: Jan 20, 2015
Posted by salustri:
Following up, here's a specific mod I'd like to suggest adding to the importance calculation: a measure of the effort a task is expected to take.
This can be done by using the Length field. One may argue that the longer the task, the more effort has to be put into it.
I should think that, all else being equal, a task that will take 6 hours to complete should be treated as more important than a task requiring only 5 minutes to complete.

I get your line of thinking, however task importance is an individual decision/assigned by the user and may be different from length or effort of a task. As far as the variables Start time/Due/Overdue/Priority/Star these are intentionally assigned by the user for important tasks. One could filter for long tasks and mark them with priority high/top/star or assign an early Start time given the length of a task. IMO, unless I misunderstood.
salustri

Posted: Jul 10, 2015
Coolexplorer,
Well... If importance is a personal thing (and I don't disagree, necessarily), then why is it calculated by a fixed formula in TD?
In any case, the one thing I wasn't clear about in my previous post was that there must certainly be a setting to turn the feature on/off, so that users at least have the choice.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.